Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Another Awesome Day!!!!!

Hi there girls (and some guys!)
Well it's later than I usually update my blog but I really couldn't wait to tell you guys about everything!!! Well, today was the day of our Royal Children's Hospital visit. We practised all day except for sports, I got to go swimming and it was awesome!!! Beautiful weather for it, it was absolutely gorgeous!!!
Then we practised for like the whole day!!! My voice is almost completely gone!
The bus arrived for us at 2:40, the same time school finishes, and we got to the Royal Children's at 3:10. We got taken to 'The Wonder Factory' which is basically the playroom for all the kids, well the ones that are well enough to get out of bed.
We met this gorgeous girl, I think she was a sibling of one of the kids upstairs in the wards. Apparently a lot of the siblings use 'The Wonder Factory' while they are with their parents visiting their sick brothers and sisters. She was absolutely beautiful, a major show-off! The minute we walked in she started organising us into rows so Mr Wharton asked her to help him conduct which she did quite willingly. Then after we sang to the kids in 'The Wonder Factory' for a bit we made a conga line which of course the little show-off led, she was such a cutie!!!
Then half of us went up to the wards while the others stayed and played with the kids in 'The Wonder Factory' I was one of the ones who went up to the wards, there were such adorable children there. We laughed heaps and it was awesome. Just nice to be able to see the kids that really needed cheering up. The parents also thought we were great and you could tell that they enjoyed it too.
We met this really little baby who smiled the whole time we were singing but as soon as we waved goodbye and started leaving he started to cry. We all felt so bad, but it was soooooooooooooo cute!!!!
After visiting the wards we went back and joined the rest of the group back in 'The Wonder Factory' we got to play with the kids again. I met this adorable boy with a tube up his nose. He mumbled his name everytime I asked him so I don't know what his name was but he was absolutely gorgeous. He was colouring in the stickers we gave him and I told him that he was a really good colourer. He said that he hadn't been when he was four (he thought I was four) but when he turned five he became a really good colourer! He just kept chattering away and I barely had to say anything. Then we played handball but with a balloon. But then it was time to go back on the bus and I said that it was time for me to go and he asked me why. I told him that I had to go back home. He nodded and I waved goodbye, then as I was walking away he waved and came running back to me. He held up his hand to give me a high five and I gave him one back. Then I kept walking, saying goodbye too. But he just ran up to me and held his hands out to give me a hug. Mr Wharton had said that we weren't allowed to give them hugs so I just wrapped my arms loosely around him and then waved goodbye again.
It was adorable. The whole group then stood outside the hospital on the grass and did the mexican wave to all the kids in the windows who were looking down at us.
The whole day was absolutely brilliant, it makes you feel so good to do something like that. It makes you feel special and needed. I swear, as soon as I am 18 I am going to volunteer at the hospital, it is the best experience I have ever had. I am definitely doing it again next year!!!!
Last night I was talking to two people online at the same time and they were both needing advice from me, it was crazy! I feel like a psychiatrist!!! Everyone says I should be a psychiatrist when I'm older but I don't want to be that. I want to be a teacher, preferrably grade twos. But I also want to write my stories in my spare time still. Stories are a part of my life and I love to write them.
I dunno, I can't believe people think I would make a good psychiatrist. Some people call me Dr Phil which is just a little freaky.
Anyway this post is turning out to be a majorly long one. I should probably stop now. I'll update again tomorrow.
TTYL,
Jess.

No comments: